Poli is quite popular sweet prepared at many homes during tamil new year , diwali or any Noombu functions. The filling can be different . Poli is very famous in kannadiga marriages. they call it Obattu, The puran(filling ) can be made from coconut or besan and so on. We have given the recipe that is used in our family right from my great grndmother's time.
Ingredients For Base
1. Maida 3/4 cup
2. Salt (pinch)
3. Turmeric Powder or Food Colour (2 pinches)
4. Sesame Oil
5. Water to knead the doughItems
Needed For Pooranam (Filling):
1. Channa dal 1 Cup
2. Jaggery 3/4 Cup to 1 Cup (according to taste)
3. Grated Coconut 2 table spoons.
4. Elaichi Powder
5. Ghee 1/2 tsp
Method for making theBase:1. In a bowl add Maida, Food colour/Turmeric, Salt and knead it to a soft dough using water.
2. Pour Oil on top of dough and keep it aside for 30 to 40 minutes.Making of Pooranam:1. Fry Channa dal till good smell comes.2. Cook this dal in (just enough) water. (not too Mushy)
3. Drain out all water and add Jaggery and Coconut.
4. Grind this into a fine paste.
5. Heat a kadai add this paste and saute till water evoparates.
1. Take a tender Banana leaf or thick plastic sheet. Apply little oil.
2. Take some amount of Maida dough and spread with hands.
3. Keep the Coconut filling (Pooranam) inside and cover with maida.
4. Make it into a ball, spread with hands.