We are great Food network fans. Paula Deen, Ina Garten and Rachel Ray are a few favourites. This is one of the recipes of the Barefoot Contessa(Ina Garten) , Chicken chili.
The chili recipes have always fascinated me as they used to look unusually spicy like we Indians are used to but mostly they are made of beef. As we dont take beef I never got to taste this dish. Later I came across chicken chili dish and had always wanted to try that from that day. Yesterday was the day after all.
Lets have some history before we dig into the dish.
1618 According to the old Southwestern Indian legend and tale (several modern writer have documented - or maybe just "passed along") it is said that the first recipe for chili con carne was put on paper in the 17th century by a beautiful nun, Sister Mary of Agreda of Spain. She was mysteriously known to the Indians of the Southwest United States as "La Dama de Azul," the lady in blue. (from WIKI)
Now for the recipe:
- 4 cups chopped yellow onions (3 onions)
- 1/8 cup good olive oil, plus extra for chicken
- 1/8 cup minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and large-diced
- 2 yellow bell peppers, cored, seeded, and large-diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for chicken
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled plum tomatoes in puree, undrained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil leaves
- 4 split chicken breasts, bone in, skin on
- Freshly ground black pepper
Chopped onions, corn chips, grated cheddar, sour cream