8 to 10 Smelt fish pieces cut into 1 ½ inches
1 medium onion finely chopped
½ tsp chopped garlic(optional)
¼ tsp turmeric powder
For the masala:
½ cup coconut gratings
5 to 6 fried red chillies
¼ tsp tamarind concentrate
¼ tsp fenugreek/ methi seeds
1 tsp coriander/dhania seeds
1 tsp cooking oil
1. Firstly clean the smelt fish well and remove all the bones etc.
2. Heat a small pan and add 1 tsp cooking oil, add the fenugreek/methi and coriander/dhania seeds and fry on a medium heat till you smell the aromas. Set it aside.
3. In a blender take coconut gratings, tamarind, red chillies and the fried fenugreek and coriander seeds. Blend it into a smooth paste using little water.
4. Heat oil a deep sauté pan, add chopped onions, garlic and sauté till slightly golden. Add turmeric powder and fry again for a minute.
5. Now add the grounded masala/paste and mix well. Adjust the salt and water and cover and cook the masala for 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Now reduce the heat to medium low and add the cut smelt fish pieces and carefully mix it along with the masala. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes or until the fish is cooked through.
7. Serve with steamed rice.