Tried a Malaysian recipe for the first time and came out very well. Lots of flavour. Seafood gently cooked in a skillet of coconut milk makes a mouthwatering curry for any occasion. Sambal, a fiery hot relish is usually served with this curry. Got this beautiful recipe from one of my prized cookbook featuring Asian recipes.
1 pound shrimp/ fish can also be used
salt to taste
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 in ginger root sliced
2 small red chillies seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic crushed
2 in lemon grass shredded
1 tbsp fish sauce
14 0z coconut milk( We used canned)
21/2 cups of chicken stock
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp sugar
juice of 1/2 lemon
- Clean the shrimp and devein them. Season them with salt and set aside.
- Heat oil, ginger, chilies, garlic and lemon grass and fry briefly.
- Stir in the fish sauce and strain the coconut milk through a seive and then add to skillet.
- Add the chicken stock, turmeric, sugar(We didnt use this), salt and lemon juice. Simmer for 10 mins.
- Add the shrimp and simmer for 6-8 mins.
- Garnish with coriander and lime slices. This is usually served with steamed rice.