Bitter gourd - 1 medium sized
tamarind extract - 3/4 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Toor dal - 3/4 cup
Fresh grated coconut - 3/4 cup
Chana dal - 2 tsp
Red chilli - 2 (modify according to your level of spice tolerance)
Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Split urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - a few sprigs
- Cook toor dal till very soft
- Heat a tsp of oil in a pan. Fry chana dal and red chillies in this. Add a pinch of asafoetida and switch off the heat. Once this cools, grind it to a smooth paste along with grated coconut.
- add tamarind extract(3/4 tsp)
- Slice bitter gourd into thin round slices.
- Cook bitter gourd slices in tamarind water to which turmeric powder and salt has been added.
- Once it is cooked, add the ground mixture to this. Boil for 4-5 minutes.
- Then add the cooked toor dal. Mix well and heat for a minute or two. If you feel the curry is too thick at this stage, add a little bit of water.
- Heat a tsp of oil. Season it with mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves. Once the mustard seeds pop, pour this over the curry.