I prepared this for my hubby when I went to India. Our mom used to make them in small batches in regular intervals and all of us in the family loved it.
Red chili powder-2 tablespoons
Gingili oil-4 table spoons
Ginger-a small piece (optional)
Mustard seeds-1 teaspoon
Fenugreek seed-1 teaspoon
- Microwave the tomatoes for a minute and remove the skin else put the tomatoes in boiling water for 2 minutes and remove the skin. Let the tomatoes cool.
- Now put the tomatoes in the big jar along with the chili powder and the salt required and grind to a smooth paste. If you add garlic and ginger grind it in the small jar and add to this tomato pulp.
- Keep the kadai in the stove. Season the thokku with the items in ‘To season’ in 4 table spoons of oil. Once the mustard splitters reduce the flame and add the tomato pulp.
- Close the kadai and in medium fire cook stirring in between .After 10 minutes remove the lid, keep the flame to medium and stir more often for 10 more minutes. After the 20th minute increase the flame and stir continuously.
- When the oil separates, keep the flame low and add a tablespoon of jaggery.
- Once it is cold transfer it to an air tight container and keep it in the fridge. This thokku will stay fresh for a month if stored properly.